This page contains practical information about health insurance and security.
In response to the Covid-19 pandemic and visa requirements, all international students at the Hebrew University, including part-time and external students, must have health insurance coverage through Harel Insurance for the period of their studies.
If you are a non-Israeli student enrolled at the Rothberg international school you will receive health insurance for the duration of your program. Provided you meet the criteria and complete the insurance form.
Israeli Citizens & New Immigrants
If you are an Israeli citizen or new immigrant (oleh), you are personally responsible for joining an Israeli health fund (kupat holim) to assure your access to medical care. You must submit the Health Insurance Waiver.
Security & Travel Warnings
Jerusalem is a very safe location, with a lower crime rate and higher safety rating than most major cities in the United States or Canada. Compare the safety of a variety of international cities. Nonetheless, to ensure the maximum safety of our students, we have a wide range of security measures, including a fenced and monitored perimeter, security checks at all campus entrances, and security patrols throughout the campus. Students are notified of any travel advisories or other special situations through text messages, email, and Facebook messages, and parents and universities will be notified through our offices abroad. Hebrew University’s Rothberg International School (RIS) recommends the following guidelines.
- Keep a copy of your current passport with you at all times.
- Make sure that RIS has your updated contact information.
- Stay alert in public places. Be aware of your surroundings and observe those around you.
- Be conscious of the fact that you are in a different society with different social cues and behavior than what you may be used to. Look around you to observe what others do.
- Report suspicious objects or unaccompanied bags to a person in authority.
- When standing at a bus or train stop, find a spot away from the edge of the sidewalk, stand behind the station instead of in front of it, and stand apart from large groups.
- Always watch your belongings. Keep alert for ploys to distract your attention.
- Stay informed of local news as well as international events.
- Avoid demonstrations. Leave the area if a crowd suddenly begins to gather.
- Unless you are familiar with the following areas or have trusted friends or relatives who can look out for you, you should avoid the Temple Mount, Shuafat, Beit Hanina, the Mount of Olives, Wadi Joz, Issawiyeh, and any villages or settlements in the West Bank/Judea and Samaria.
- Please consult a madrichor other RIS staff member with any questions.
- If you leave the campus, please let a roommate, friend, or madrichknow where you are going and when you plan to return.
- In the case of an emergency situation, send an email (or SMS) with the subject “I’m ok” to the RIS OSL coordinator of your program and to your family and friends at home.
- DO NOT HITCHHIKE under any circumstances.
- Do not leave your luggage unattended.
- Do not travel alone to unfamiliar areas.
- Do not jog alone or during hours of darkness.
- Do not invite strangers into your room. (All dorm visitors must be signed in by a resident.)
- Do not travel to areas under the jurisdiction of the Palestinian Authority. In the present circumstances, such travel could pose a serious risk to your security, and your insurance policy may not be valid in these areas.
Office of Student Life online chat – available during office hours. For non-emergency needs:
+972 2 588 2606
Office 104a, Boyar Building
Office of Student Life (OSL)
+972 2 588 2362
|Mount Scopus Security Department (24/7)||+972 2 588 3000|
|OSL Emergency Number (24/7)||+972 54 882 0217|
|Student Village Office (Building 12)||8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.||+972 2 591 8002|
|Student Village Clerk||5:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.||+972 54 882 0961|
|Reznik Dorms Office||8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.||+972 2 588 2684 ext. 0|
|Reznik Dorms Clerk||5:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.||+972 54 882 0115|
Taxi French Hill: +972 2 582 1111