Facebook Pixel


All international students planning to study at the Rothberg International School (RIS) must obtain a multiple-entry A/2 student visa through an Israeli embassy or consulate prior to arrival in Israel. This applies to students in short- and long-term programs alike, as well as to students in any of the School’s Hebrew Language Programs. It is your responsibility to contact your nearest Israeli embassy or consulate and apply for the relevant visa in advance of your departure. Only an Israeli embassy or consulate can issue this visa, and RIS is not involved in this process.

You should start the process of applying for a visa at least one month prior to your departure for Israel. Processing times and procedures vary from embassy/consulate to embassy/consulate. Please contact your nearest Israeli embassy or consulate to get information on how to apply for a visa and what visa application documents you will need to submit. In most cases, an acceptance letter to your program of studies is the only documentation that you will need from the Hebrew University. If the Israeli embassy or consulate requires further documentation from the Hebrew University, please be in touch with the Rothberg International School representative who supplied you with your acceptance letter to the program. 

Please note:

  • Without the appropriate visa, you may not be permitted to enter the country.
  • A multiple-entry student visa will simplify the process of traveling in and out of Israel during your studies.
  • You may not be allowed to convert a tourist visa to a student visa once you arrive in Israel. In order to change your visa type, you may be required to leave the country.
  • If you choose to extend your stay in Israel beyond the period of your visa, you may be required to exit the country and then return.
  • The exact visa you need will depend on your citizenship.
  • Holders of student visas are not legally permitted to work in Israel.
  • Your passport must be valid for the full period of the visa.

If you are an Israeli citizen or have Israeli parents, or if you are entitled to immigrate to Israel under the Law of Return, you will find additional relevant information below.

To learn about the procedures and documents required to obtain your visa, please visit the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs website or check with your nearest Israeli embassy or consulate.

Students Enrolled in Hebrew Language Studies during the Year

RIS CANNOT provide students with the required visa documentation if they are only enrolled in the Hebrew Language program.

Israeli Citizens

If you are an Israeli citizen, were born in Israel, or have at least one Israeli parent, please contact your local Israeli embassy or consulate before leaving for Israel. The embassy or consulate staff can clarify and formalize your citizenship status, provide information about deferment of military service, issue appropriate travel documents, and advise you as to the appropriate visa for your stay in Israel. If you are an Israeli citizen who is eligible for military service, you must obtain an official letter of deferment for at least six months in order to study at HebrewU. It is critical that you address these matters before you arrive in Israel. Otherwise, the government may require you to stay in Israel until resolution, during which time you may incur extra costs and face additional legal requirements.

New Immigrants

If you are entitled to immigrate to Israel under the Law of Return, you should contact the Jewish Agency Global Service Center for information about entering Israel with a new immigrant visa (oleh). US, Canadian, and British students who are eligible to immigrate under the Law of Return can find more information through Israel’s Ministry of Interior (Misrad HaPnim).

Visa Extensions

Your initial entry visa must cover the entire period of your intended study. If you are already in Israel and your visa is expected to expire during the course of your studies, you must  schedule an appointment and apply to the Ministry of Interior to extend your visa. To schedule an appointment please complete this form ( note the language can be changed through the globe icon on the left) For more information, contact the Jerusalem office of the Ministry of Interior. Please make sure that you have the appropriate paperwork.


Please email us if you have any trouble securing your visa:

Helpful Resources

  • Ministry of the Interior, Regional Population Administration, Jerusalem:
    Address: 1 Shlomzion HaMalka St., Jerusalem.
    Tel: 02-6294802
    Fax: 02-6294800

Apply to RIS

Hebrew University’s Rothberg International School offers you a challenging and rewarding academic environment to help you achieve your goals. Our tailored, flexible programs offer short- and long-term study opportunities.

Take a look at our pages for prospects, students, faculty and staff, alumni, and parents – or contact us!

Pre-Semester Program: “Encountering Jerusalem” 2022-23
Practical Hebrew Beginners 4 credits
One course on various aspects of Jerusalem The Bible and the City3 credits