Living in university housing is an important part of your study abroad experience. You’ll have a chance to make new friends from all over the world as well as to meet Israeli students. Student housing complexes are located on Mount Scopus, overlooking Jerusalem, and are within walking distance of the university. From this location, you can take advantage of being close to the university while experiencing city life. Please note that the cost of housing is listed on your program page.
Housing is provided based on availability.
Students are mainly housed in the Student Village complex. They live in single bedrooms in air-conditioned suites. Each bedroom contains a bed, desk, chair, and closet. Kitchen and bathroom facilities are shared. The Scopus Student Village housing complex has free Wi-Fi in all of its apartments. Take a virtual tour of our student village.
RIS administration reserves all rights to make final housing decisions.
|Mailing Address||Arrival Address|
Scopus Student Village
2 Lohamei Hagetaot St.
Building ___, Floor ___, Apt. ___, Room ___
9788002 Jerusalem, Israel
|(Provide this address to your taxi driver or ride):
Hayyim Yassky Street
What You’ll Need
You will need to supply your own bedroom linens and blankets (bed measurements: 80 cm X 190 cm (32″ X 75″)), dishes, and cooking utensils. You may bring your own laptop, television (Israel uses the PAL system), DVDs, and other personal items. If you wish to purchase room items after you arrive in Israel, you can do so through a special service that will deliver these items to you. On your first day at the university, you can also take part in an organized shopping trip to purchase necessary items. Laundry facilities are available in the Student Village. Israel’s electric current is 220v, 50 cycles.
Meals & Cooking
Kitchens have stove burners and refrigerators, so you can prepare light meals and snacks. Although there is no meal plan, moderately priced kosher cafeterias, snack bars, and small supermarkets are located in or near each student housing complex.
Specially selected Israeli students called madrichim (student life staff), who live in the dormitories, will help you adjust to campus life and make the most of your stay in Israel.
Students wishing to change rooms may do so only through the housing supervisor. The supervisor must have your correct address on file at all times.
Vacating Student Housing
All students must vacate housing in the Scopus Student Village by 3:00 p.m. upon withdrawal or by the date stated in the checkout table at the end of each program chapter. Please check the supervisor’s office hours at other housing complexes (see the financial guide).
All financial obligations must be paid before a student can receive a housing referral.
- For students coming for the summer programs, reserve housing by May 1.
- For students coming for the academic year/autumn semester, reserve housing by July 1.
- For students coming for the Winter Ulpan/spring semester, reserve housing by January 1.
Housing is allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, if space is available. There is no guarantee that all students who apply will receive accommodations.
Once you receive a confirmation of housing availability, you must complete all your financial obligations by the payment deadline.
- Students are required to pay a housing deposit. The amount is determined by which department you are studying in.
- Summer courses – $750 deposit
- Ulpan – $400 deposit
- Semester or Year program – $750 deposit
- Programs shorter than a semester – $400 deposit
- The dorm deposit is due no later than two weeks after receipt of a billing letter from the Rothberg finance office. The dorm reservation will be removed if the deposit is not paid by the due date.
- Dorm cancellations made more than two months prior to the start of their program will receive a full refund.
- The housing deposit will not be refunded to students who cancel their dorm reservations less than two months prior to the start of their program.
- Students who register for housing less than two months prior to the start of their program will not receive a refund on their housing deposit.
- Students who pay housing fee less than 1 month before the beginning of the program and decide to cancel will be charged $750.
Students who are Israeli citizens must apply directly to Hebrew University Housing Office to reserve housing. More information may be found here.
Contact RIS Housing