Why Study Abroad at Hebrew University?
- Live in Jerusalem, known for its vibrant culture, rich history, advanced technology, and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Forge connections with local and international students to experience a mosaic of cultures, immersing yourself in the diversity of Jerusalem life.
- Benefit from the reputation of the internationally renowned HebrewU.
- Develop artistic abilities through unique art and dance programs – or gain experience in international relations, behavioral sciences, and more.
- Go beyond the classroom and make a difference in the local community.
First Year & Gap Year Programs
If you are just beginning your higher education journey, HebrewU’s First Year and Gap Year Programs are an exceptional way to explore and set the stage for your future. Whether you’re interested in Hebrew language, service learning, art, dance, Israel Studies, or other subjects, we offer a range of opportunities for academics, cultural immersion, and connecting with new friends from all over the world.
Our Academic Track includes Hebrew-language studies and courses in a variety of fields. You will begin with a pre-semester ulpan (intensive Hebrew-language course) and the First Year orientation, where you’ll get to know your peers and familiarize yourself with your new surroundings. During the semester, you will continue Hebrew-language study, plus enroll in introductory-level courses in Jewish, Israel, and Middle East studies, as well as in social sciences, business, and communications. With our academic track, you also have the option of transitioning into the Mechina/Preparatory program after one semester and starting a Liberal Arts degree in Hebrew the following year.
Social Impact Track
Want to make a difference? Try our Social Impact Track, which combines service learning and community development with academic studies. Throughout the semester, you will be housed off campus adjacent to the community in which your service will focus. Students in this track also enroll in courses, and you are required to take at least one course related to your social development project.
Second, Third, & Fourth Year Programs
If you’re an undergraduate student already pursuing your B.A. studies, you have the opportunity to enroll in semester and full year study abroad programs at HebrewU. Experience Israel’s remarkable culture through field trips and social activities, as well as through optional subject-specific tracks and courses on Hebrew language, Israel, and the Middle East.
Undergraduate Study Abroad Program (USAP)
Our Undergraduate Study Abroad Program combines studies in Hebrew and Arabic languages with courses in a range of areas. Studies begin with an intensive pre-semester ulpan, and you then enroll in 15 credits for one semester or a year. You may also participate in a professional internship during the program. In addition to language, we offer courses in the following fields:
- Jewish Civilization, Religion, and History
- Middle East and Islamic Studies
- Political Science and International Relations
- Israel Studies: History, Politics, Society, and Culture
- Psychology and Cognitive Sciences
- Conflict and Security Studies
- Business and Law
- Life Sciences
- Global Studies
In our DanceJerusalem program, you have the opportunity to take Dance classes at the Jerusalem Academy of Music and Dance (JAMD) in combination with academic studies at HebrewU. The program offers university-level artistic and technical training in the disciplines of Classical Ballet and Contemporary Dance Choreography. With DanceJerusalem, you can:
- Expand your artistic and technical training in traditional and contemporary forms of dance.
- Create, rehearse, and perform works with renowned Israeli composers and choreographers.
- Receive individual instruction from Jerusalem Academy of Music and Dance faculty.
- Be inspired by the rich cultural, historic, and religious significance of Jerusalem.
- Transition into a B.A. program in dance at the Jerusalem Academy of Music and Dance.
ArtJerusalem provides artistic training and the inspiration to create. The program combines fine arts studies at Bezalel Academy of Arts & Design with academic studies at HebrewU. You can choose courses from diverse areas including painting, sculpture, jewelry and fashion, photography, and visual communications. At the same time, you’ll also explore Israel’s rich and vibrant culture through field trips, social activities, and courses on Hebrew language, Israel, and the Middle East. With ArtJerusalem, you can:
- Live in the inspirational city of Jerusalem, gaining meaningful experiences that will enhance your art.
- Take your technical training to the next level at the Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design Jerusalem.
- Choose courses in diverse areas including architecture, fine arts, and industrial design.
- Learn to create using traditional methods and cutting-edge technologies.
- Transition into a B.A. program at Bezalel Academy of Arts & Design.
Additional Special Interest Programs
In addition to Dance Jerusalem, and ArtJerusalem, RIS offers special programs in Arabic Language, Art and Design, Music, and Honors.