- Gain practical experience working in a state-of-the-art lab.
- Work as part of a team under the direct supervision of leading scientists.
- Acquire a valuable international perspective on scientific research.
This summer internship program offers senior undergraduate or graduate students the opportunity to gain in-depth research experience in a wide variety of scientific fields while earning academic credit. As a participant in the program, you will work in state-of-the-art laboratories under the guidance of internationally respected Hebrew University scientists.
During the program, you will spend between three and eight weeks working in a research laboratory in the hard sciences, engineering department, or medical school.
You will spend 40 hours per week in a lab. The typical internship is four weeks long, but can be extended with the agreement of your supervisor.
- 40 hours of lab work per week
- Final research paper and/or lab report
Research opportunities available in the following areas of study:
- Molecular Biology
- Neurogenetics and Systems Biology
- Computational Genetics
- Geography-spatial analysis
- Climate Dynamics
- Bioorganic Chemistry
- Joint and skeletal growth diseases
How Do Our Exchange Programs Work?
If you apply to this program as an exchange student, your home institution must be a HebrewU partner through a formal reciprocal exchange agreement. Throughout the duration of this program, you will remain enrolled with your home institution and continue to pay home institution fees. As an exchange student, you are exempt from HebrewU tuition fees, but you will pay for HebrewU housing, health insurance, and lab insurance as well as your cost of living expenses.
This program may be credited towards your degree with the approval of your home institution. You may also apply as an external student.
You’ll be invited to participate in a wide array of trips, tours, and activities offered by the Office of Student Life. From a tour of the Old City to a trip to the Dead Sea to checking out the local festivals, you’ll build your own unique impressions and memories of Jerusalem and Israel. While residing in HebrewU dormitories with other international and Israeli students, you’ll have a chance to form new friendships and get involved in campus life. A team of multilingual Israeli students, called madrichim, is also there to help you adjust to your new surroundings and give you tips on things to do. Learn more about student life at HebrewU.
Apply by: April 15, 2023
Program length: Four weeks; extension possible with the agreement of your supervisor
Course: US$ 1,000 (waived for exchange students from partner institutions; tuition for your home institution still applies)
Housing: Calculated according to length of stay.
Learn more about fees, cost of living, and paying for the program.
You are eligible to apply if the following apply:
- You have completed at least 28 semester credits from an accredited college or university with a 3.5 (B+) cumulative GPA or its equivalent. You will participate in the undergraduate level of this program.
- You already hold a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited college or university with a 3.5 (B+) cumulative GPA or its equivalent. You will participate in the graduate level of this program.
- You have a high level of English language ability (B2 or higher).
If you are an exchange student, you’ll need to complete the following steps to apply:
- Confirm that your home institution has a formal reciprocal exchange agreement with HebrewU. Contact us with questions about this step.
- Submit the application documents as listed below to your home institution’s exchange coordinator.
- Be nominated or selected by your home institution.
- Complete your online application to HebrewU.
- If admitted to HebrewU, you must remain enrolled with your home institution and continue to pay your home institution fees. You will be exempt from HebrewU tuition fees and only pay the housing fees and cost of living.
Students Applying Directly
If you are not an exchange student and need to pay tuition, you’ll complete the following steps to apply:
- Complete your online application to HebrewU.
- Submit the application documents as listed below as part of the online application process.
- Letter of motivation (one page)
- Undergraduate level: Transcript of grades
- Graduate level: Copy of your bachelor of science or master of science degree
- Proof of English level (B2 or higher)
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members or academic advisors
For information on visas, see here.
We’re happy to answer any questions you might have – or to chat for a bit to help you choose the right course or program. For additional details, please email the International Office or the Internship Coordinator at Rothberg.
Find More Summer Courses
Please note that HebrewU reserves the right to cancel courses for which there is insufficient registration.
Summer Science Internship Program
Language of Instruction:
June 14-August 14, 2023
Completed at least 28 credits with a 3.5 (B+) cumulative GPA or its equivalent; proficiency in English (B2 level or higher); graduate students also eligible
April 15, 2023
Tuition: US$ 1,000
Housing: Calculated according to length and stay.
Relevant Academic Fields:
Science, technology, research