- Explore the land of the Old Testament in person, with Hebrew Bible in hand.
- Master Biblical Hebrew.
- Expand your Modern Hebrew vocabulary.
- Examine the psychological reality and linguistic and cultural context underlying the text.
- Translate Bible passages into your native language.
This five-month program is specially designed for Bible translators in a collaboration by Hebrew University and the Jerusalem Center for Bible Translators (JCBT). In this program, you’ll enjoy a home-like atmosphere while deepening your knowledge of the Hebrew Bible.
Explore the history, geography, archaeology, and cultural backgrounds of the Bible while living in Jerusalem. In this program, you’ll conduct discourse analysis of Biblical Hebrew, investigate Hebrew as a living language, and solidify your skills in the translation workshop.
The first two months include the study of Hebrew as a living language in parallel with the first two other courses.
- Acquisition and retention of Hebrew vocabulary
- Mastery of vocabulary and grammar of Biblical Hebrew
- Field trips to sites from the Biblical Old Testament (18 days)
- Experiential learning through exegesis and translation exercises
- Biblical Hebrew
- History, Geography, Archaeology, and Cultural Backgrounds of the Bible
- Discourse Analysis of Biblical Hebrew
- Hebrew as a Living Language: Modern Hebrew Ulpan
- Translation Workshop: Exegesis and Translation
Acceptance is based on the knowledge of an intermediate level of Biblical Hebrew and a possession of a good knowledge of written and spoken English or French. Application preference will be given to national translators, to those working on a Bible translation project, and to those younger than 45 years of age.
For more details about the program, including information on costs and how to apply, please visit the website for the Jerusalem Center for Bible Translators.
We’re happy to answer any questions you might have – and to collect your supplementary application materials.
Call us: +972 2 588 2602
Find More Summer Courses
Please note that HebrewU reserves the right to cancel courses for which there is insufficient registration.
Spring Semester Program for Bible Translators
Languages of Instruction:
English and French
Feb 1 – June 30, 2022
March – TBD, French Program
English and French-speaking translators
Relevant Academic Fields:
Translation, linguistics, languages, Biblical history