Frequently Asked Questions for Accepted Graduate Students

Students are notified of their acceptance to graduate programs at the Rothberg International School via email. Students receive a Pre-Arrival Brochure attached to their acceptance emails. Below is some helpful general information but accepted students should still review the Pre-Arrival Brochure carefully and refer to it for specific dates and deadlines. 

  1. What are the next steps after being accepted to a graduate program?

Following their acceptance, students need to arrange for housing and health insurance in Israel, pay tuition, register for courses, apply for a student visa and make travel plans. 

  1. How can I reserve on-campus student housing?

Students can request on-campus housing while filling out their application forms. Students who submitted applications without requesting housing and then later wish to request housing can submit a reservation through this link. Confirmation of housing reservations will appear on students’ personal information pages within about two weeks. Students who do not see confirmation after two weeks should contact our Finance and Housing Office. For more information, please refer to our University Housing page. Please note that housing is allocated on a space-available basis.

  1. Is on-campus family housing available?

The Hebrew University has a very limited number of family housing units. Interested students should contact our Finance and Housing Office between March and May for the following academic year (which starts in October). Family housing is assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis and even students who apply early may be waitlisted and/or denied if space has filled up.

  1. How do I search for an off-campus apartment?

Jerusalem neighborhoods popular with students include the city center, Nachlaot, Rechavia, and French Hill (the latter is adjacent to the Mount Scopus campus). Students with families often choose to live in the Pisgat Ze’ev neighborhood, which is less expensive and relatively close to the Mount Scopus campus. For more information, please refer to our Off-Campus Housing page. Below is a list of Facebook groups in English where students can search apartment listings in Jerusalem:

  1. How can I purchase Hebrew University health insurance?

Students can apply for health insurance through this link. For information about the policy basics and health facilities in Jerusalem, please refer to our Health and Safety page.

  1. Is health insurance mandatory?

All students must have health insurance coverage for the entire duration of their stay at the Hebrew University. Students must either be insured by the Harel insurance company or by one of the Israeli kupot cholim (HMOs). Students may purchase Harel insurance independently or through the Hebrew University.

Students who are insured independently by either Harel or one of the Israeli kupot cholim must submit a waiver form to our Finance Office.

Students who do not have a health insurance reservation through the Hebrew University and have not submitted a waiver form demonstrating coverage by either Harel or one of the Israeli kupot cholim will not be allowed to begin their studies/research at the Hebrew University.

  1. When and how do I register for courses?

Students register for courses online prior to the start of their program. The online course registration system is usually open for two weeks roughly two months before the start of each academic year or semester. The exact dates appear in the Pre-Arrival Brochure. Shortly before the online course registration system opens, students will receive an email from the Graduate Office with a course catalog and instructions on how to register. Students accepted to MA programs at the Rothberg International School also receive information about which courses they must register for to meet the requirements of their program.

  1. How do I obtain a student visa?

Accepted students should contact their local Israeli embassy or consulate to set up a student visa appointment. Students should request a multiple-entry A/2 student visa and allow at least one month for their request to be processed.

Students with family members who will be accompanying them to Israel should email the Graduate Office to request a letter for the Israeli embassy/consulate stating that they will be joined by their family. The email should include scans of the passport ID pages of the family members who will be travelling to Israel.

Students already in Israel with tourist visas should consult with the Israeli Ministry of the Interior (Misrad Hap’nim) to determine whether they will be required to leave the country to obtain a student visa at an Israeli embassy or consulate abroad, or whether the visa change can be made in Israel.

Students already in Israel with student visas should contact the Graduate Office to ask for assistance in renewing their student visas at the Ministry of the Interior.

  1. Is it possible to work while I study?

Individuals with student visas are not permitted to work in Israel, except for those enrolled in full master’s and doctoral degree programs at Israeli universities, as well as those engaged in post-doctoral research. Such students may only work as teaching assistants in their respective fields of study, at their Israeli host universities and on a part-time basis. The Rothberg International School does not assist with placement and interested students must arrange this independently. Students should keep in mind that it is uncommon for international students at the master’s level to work as teaching assistants at the Hebrew University.

International students interested in applying for work visas should consult with their local Israeli embassy or consulate abroad. Students may be asked to provide documentation and proof of sponsorship from an Israeli employer.

Individuals with student visas are permitted to work remotely with their home countries. Part-time, remote jobs popular with graduate students include freelance writing, editing, and translating; online teaching and consulting; web design and programming; and e-commerce. For more tips and ideas, see our How Did You Finance Your Studies pamphlet.

Students enrolled in Rothberg MA programs who are considering working during their studies should keep in mind that classes will be held at least two days a week and attendance is mandatory. In addition, depending on their program, students may have additional language instruction requirements. They may also be required to participate in intensive pre-semester and/or summer courses, which will further limit the amount of time they will be able to work.

Students with Israeli citizenship may work in Israel while they study.

  1. Where can I find information about educational frameworks in Jerusalem for my children?

Students can find information about educational frameworks for children in Jerusalem in Chapter 5 of the Hebrew University’s Guide for New and Visiting Faculty. Please note that this guide was written for faculty members and not all the information will be relevant. Furthermore, students should contact the kindergartens listed directly to check prices and availability.

Hebrew University Quick Facts

Male and female student in conversation

We offer courses and programs in a variety of fields, with a focus on social and political sciences, Israel and the Middle East, languages, religion, fine and performing arts, business and legal studies, and STEM.

The Real Jerusalem

Live on-campus with international and Israeli students – including a staff of Israeli students who help you navigate life in Jerusalem. This vibrant city will be your second classroom, full of trips and tours.

Apply Now

Apply online to begin your adventure in Jerusalem at the highest-ranked university in Israel.

Visit us! @hebrew.uni.intl

Contact Us

Rothberg International School
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Boyar Building, Mount Scopus
9190501 Jerusalem, ISRAEL 

Contact us

Privacy Notice – International Students

Take a look at our pages for prospects, students, faculty and staff, alumni, and parents – or contact us!

TrackSAT ACT Psychometric Test
(General or QE)
Business & English1310 28629
Business & Liberal Arts131028629
English & Liberal Arts102019516
Pre-Semester Program: “Encountering Jerusalem”
Practical Hebrew Beginners 4 credits
Israeli Society3 credits
Pre-Semester Program: “Encountering Jerusalem”
Practical Hebrew Beginners4 credits
Modern Standard Arabic Beginners 5 credits
Jerusalem: A Journey Through Time and Space3 credits
Pre-Semester Program: “Encountering Jerusalem”
Practical Hebrew Beginners4 credits
Modern Standard Arabic Beginners 5 credits
Jerusalem: A Journey Through Time and Space3 credits
Pre-Semester Program: “Encountering Jerusalem”
Practical Hebrew Beginners 4 credits
Israeli Society3 credits