Foundations of Literary Arabic (Fusha)
This elementary intensive Arabic language summer program is designed for students with little or no prior background in Literary Arabic. The program consists of 120 instructional hours offered over the course of 4-5 weeks in late August through September (check the academic calendar for specific dates; for the 2017-2018 academic year, the course will be held from August 29-September 27, 2017 with orientation days on August 27-28, 2017). Excursions to Arab communities throughout Israel and extra-curricular activities related to Arab culture are a core component of the program. Classes meet daily, Sundays through Thursdays, for approximately six academic hours.
This introductory course enables students to continue their Arabic studies in either the Arabic Immersion Study Abroad Program, the M.A. program in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies, as well as the graduate programs offered in the Division of Graduate Studies.
Classes will utilize the Al-Kitaab and Foundation of Literary Arabic (Israeli textbook available through the Hebrew University) text book series, in addition to materials prepared by the faculty. Students are expected to complete chapters 1-8 of Al-Kitaab, Part I (3rd edition), and chapters 1-12 of Foundation of Literary Arabic, Part I.
1. To master the Arabic alphabet and be able to distinguish and pronounce all Arabic sounds.
2. To read and comprehend a variety of basic texts in Modern Standard Arabic.
3. To compose paragraphs using a basic level of Modern Standard Arabic.
4. To understand the phonology, morphology, syntax and semantics of the Arabic language.
5. To become familiar with Arabic culture and to be able to respond in culturally appropriate ways to daily interactions in Arab culture and society through academic tours and cultural activities.
Admission criteria are based on one of the following:
1. Admission to any of the study abroad programs offered in the Undergraduate Division at the Rothberg International School.
2. Admission to any of the programs offered in the Graduate Division at the Rothberg International School
3. Students who want to take this as a stand alone course should apply through the Undergraduate Division as external students.
Application deadline for 2017/2018 academic year: May 31, 2017. Late applications will be reviewed on space-available basis.
This is a one-time application fee; students continuing on to studies in the academic semester/year in the Undergraduate Division and the Graduate Division will not be required to pay this fee a second time.
$1,500 – for students enrolled in the Arabic Immersion Program, the Undergraduate Study Abroad Program, and the Graduate Non-Degree Program, as well as students who wish to take this as a stand-alone course.
Note: The tuition fee is waived for students enrolled in the MA in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies.
$1,230-$1,190—dependent upon the duration of residence in the dormitories.
$90 – for students enrolled in the MA in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies.
Note: The health insurance fee is waived for students enrolled in the Arabic Immersion Program, the Undergraduate Study Abroad Program, and the Graduate Non-Degree Program, as well as for those students who take this as a stand-alone course.
Graduate students: firstname.lastname@example.org
Undergraduate students: email@example.com