All students not taking a group flight should arrive at the Boyar Building Rooms 501/502 on the Mount Scopus campus for registration between 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM, on the registration dates.
Any student requiring housing, who arrives outside of these hours must make private arrangements for accommodations until the following morning, without exception. For further instructions please see Stranded in Jerusalem
To further clarify, if your plane is arriving at Ben Gurion International Airport at 2:00pm or later, you will not make it to Jerusalem in time to complete your registration and retrieve your housing keys from the Student Village offices.
During Ulpan registration, a shuttle bus is available to take students and their luggage from the Boyar Building to the Student Village following registration.
Please be sure to have the following items accessible and on-hand:
Upon arrival at the airport :
- Acceptance letter to the Rothberg International School (The Customs official often asks for this, and having it on-hand may end up sparing you unnecessary interrogation).
- NIS in notes and coins especially for the cab or bus ride
For Financial Registration:
- Acceptance letter to the Rothberg International School
- Receipt(s) for any payment of tuition and dormitory fees
- A copy of your financial aid award letter and/or letter of scholarship, if applicable
- Your Ulpan placement letter, if applicable
Transportation to Jerusalem :
The ride to Jerusalem should take approximately 45 minutes. There are a number of transportation options available, depending upon your budget:
• Sherut : This is a minivan taxi option, and the company name is Nesher ; you will find the vans located just outside of the baggage claim area, and their phone number is: 03-9752383. The sherut is the most recommended way to travel. It is less expensive than taking a private taxi cab, and has the convenience of door-to-door travel. Keep in mind that you will need to wait for the minibus to fill with passengers before departing from the airport, but the driver will drop you off at the Boyar Building or the hostel of your choice. This service should cost approximately 50 NIS .
• Private Taxi : Private taxis will be lined up outside of the baggage claim area as well. Be sure to take a cab that has a yellow lit-up sign on the roof with a taxi license number on it. Payment is accepted in NIS currency only, and the estimated cost for travel to Jerusalem is approximately 300 NIS .
• Bus Lines : Line number 5 departs from the airport every 15 minutes and will take you to the El-Al Junction. From there, you can take Line 947 to Jerusalem , which departs every 30 minutes until 20:20. After that, it departs at 21:03; 21:43; 22:23 . Please note that this line comes from Haifa and the hours posted here are estimated arrival times, which may vary. You can pay for the bus ticket on the bus, in NIS currency only, and the approximated fare is 21.50. This bus will take you to the Jerusalem Central Bus Station. From there you should take Bus # 28 or 26.
Directions for entering campus (primarily for taxi driver or private car):
There are three Hebrew University campuses located throughout Jerusalem, so be sure to tell the driver that you need to arrive at the Mt. Scopus campus. In Hebrew, this campus is called Har Hatzofim . Upon arrival, the taxi should enter campus through the Bezalel Gate (in Hebrew, Sha'ar Betzalel ). This gate is located on the back-side of campus and is therefore less known amongst taxi drivers. It can be reached via the one-way periphery road which circles the campus, and you will see signs along the way referring to both the gate and the International School (refer to attached map for more detail). You may need to present your acceptance letter to the security guards at the gate, so be sure to have your acceptance letter in-hand upon arrival. Once you have entered via the gate, drive upward and you will find our school building on the left-hand side, directly across from the building with the large, gray dome.
If the driver does not understand the instructions we have provided, please ask him/her to call our offices.
Important phone numbers to have on-hand:
- Division. of Summer Courses and Special Academic Programs of the Rothberg International School : 02-588-2602 or 02-588-1610
- Division of Hebrew Language Instruction: of the Rothberg International School : 02-588-2603 or 02-588-2698
- Madrich On-Call (available during weekdays and weekends): 054-8820830
- Police: 100
- Terem (24-hour emergency health care): Yermiahu 80, Beit Yahav, Tel: 02-5093333
Important: Until you have completed your registration at the University your health insurance is not active and you will need to pay for any health services out-of-pocket.